Working on a cruise ship as a musician can be an incredibly rewarding and unique experience. You get to perform for a diverse and international audience while traveling to some of the world’s most stunning destinations. As a musician, you will typically be part of a larger entertainment team, which may include singers, dancers, and other performers. You will be responsible for performing a wide variety of music, depending on your particular role and the needs of the cruise line. You might be part of a house band, providing live music for various events around the ship, or you could be a solo performer, playing sets in the ship’s lounges or bars.
One of the best things about working on a cruise ship as a musician is the opportunity to play a wide variety of music. You may be asked to perform everything from jazz to pop, from rock to country, and everything in between. This variety can be both challenging and exciting, as you work to perfect your skills in a range of styles and genres.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Working on a Cruise Ship as a Musician
Another benefit of working on a cruise ship is the chance to work with other musicians from all around the world. You will likely meet and play with musicians from many different countries and backgrounds, which can broaden your musical horizons and expose you to new styles and techniques,however, working on a cruise ship is not without its challenges. You will be living and working in close quarters with your fellow crew members for extended periods, which can be both rewarding and stressful. You will need to be able to work well as part of a team, and have good communication skills to navigate any conflicts that arise. You should expect to work between three to six months while onboard on a musician contract.
You will also need to be adaptable and flexible in your approach to performing. The cruise ship environment can be unpredictable, with changes to the schedule or unexpected events happening frequently. As a musician, you will need to be able to adjust your performance to fit the needs of the moment and respond to last-minute changes.
Working on a cruise ship as a musician can be a great way to see the world and hone your musical skills, but it’s not for everyone. You will need to be able to handle the challenges of living and working in a confined space with others, and be able to adapt to changes in your schedule and performance requirements. If you can do that, though, the rewards of performing for a diverse and international audience, and traveling to some of the world’s most stunning destinations, can make it all worth it
Still not sure if working on a cruise ship is right for you? Visit the post 10 Reasons Why You Should Work on a Cruise Ship and that might just convince you why you should!
What are the requirements to work as a Musician on a Cruise Ship?
To work as a musician on a cruise ship, there are several requirements you typically need to meet. While specific requirements may vary between cruise lines and positions, here are some common aspects to consider:
1. Musical Skills: You should have proficiency in your chosen instrument(s) and demonstrate strong musical abilities. Cruise ship musicians are often expected to perform a wide range of musical genres to cater to diverse audiences.
2. Experience and Education: Having relevant experience as a musician, either through live performances, studio work, or other musical engagements, can be advantageous. While formal education in music is not always a requirement, it can be beneficial to showcase your training and knowledge.
3. Repertoire: Cruise ships often have specific requirements for the types of music they expect musicians to perform. Being versatile and having a diverse repertoire that spans different genres can be an advantage.
4. Audition: Cruise lines typically conduct auditions to assess musicians’ skills and suitability for onboard positions. Prepare a strong audition that showcases your talent, versatility, and ability to engage with an audience.
5. Professionalism: Cruise ship musicians are expected to maintain a high level of professionalism both on and off stage. This includes punctuality, a positive attitude, teamwork skills, and the ability to adapt to various performance settings and schedules.
For more specific and detailed information on how to work on a cruise ship and it’s requirements, please visit the post What are the Requirements to Work on a Cruise Ship? (Step by Step)
How much can you make working as a Cruise Ship Musician?
As a rough estimate, entry-level cruise ship musicians might earn around $2,000 to $3,000 per month. However, keep in mind that this can increase with experience, expertise, and the type of role you hold. Musicians with specialized skills or those in leadership positions, such as band leaders or musical directors, may receive higher salaries.
The pay for working as a musician on a cruise ship can vary depending on a number of factors, including the cruise line, the type of musical performance, the musician’s level of experience, and the length of the contract. In general, cruise ship musicians can expect to earn a salary that is comparable to other entry-level music jobs, but with the added benefit of free room and board and the opportunity to travel to different destinations around the world.
It’s worth noting that working as a musician on a cruise ship can also come with additional benefits and perks. For example, musicians will often have access to all of the amenities and activities on board the ship, as well as the opportunity to explore different ports of call during your free time. Most of the musician working hours are in the evening, giving you plenty of time to explore the amazing ports of call where your cruise ship takes you.
Where can I apply to work as a Musician on a Cruise Ship?
Now that you know how cool and exciting a carreer at sea can be, it’s time to stating preparing yourself to apply for these awesome jobs. There are a few places you can check out. Here’s the lowdown:
- Cruise Line Websites: Head straight to the Cruise Lines page where you can apply directly with the cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, Carnival Cruise Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, or Disney Cruise Line.
- Cruise Line Hiring Partners: Some cruise lines team up with recruitment agencies or talent management companies to handle their hiring. Scope out reliable agencies that specialize in cruise ship entertainment recruitment. They often have their own websites where you can apply and scope out gigs.
- Online Job Boards: Don’t forget to hit up dedicated online job boards like AllCruiseJobs.com or CruiseJobFinder.com. They cater specifically to cruise ship jobs, so you can search for musician positions and apply directly.
- Cruise Ship Auditions: Keep an eye out for cruise lines hosting auditions in different places. They might hold auditions in major cities or participate in industry conventions. It’s your chance to strut your stuff and impress the decision-makers.
- Networking: Tap into your musician network and connect with folks who have experience working on cruise ships. They might have some valuable tips, recommendations, or even know the right people to get in touch with. You can also attend music conferences, workshops, or events to make connections in the industry.
- Cruise Ship Job Fairs: Although not as common, you should still check if any job fairs or career expos are happenin’ in your neck of the woods. These events bring cruise lines and recruitment agencies together in one spot. It’s a great opportunity to mingle and score a gig.
Using a recruitment agency to land a job on a cruise ship
Job agencies for musicians are like your personal backstage crew in the world of cruise ship gigs. They’re here to help you navigate the process and land awesome opportunities!
These agencies are all about connecting talented musicians like yourself with cruise lines that are on the lookout for top-notch performers. They act as the middlemen (or middlewomen) between you and the cruise companies, making it easier for both sides to find their perfect match.
Steps to follow:
- First things first, you’ll need to get in touch with the agency. You can either reach out to them directly or check out their website, where they usually have a section dedicated to job seekers like you. Take a look at their requirements, which might include things like your musical skills, experience, and a killer demo reel.
- Once you’ve applied or submitted your info, the agency’s team will get to work. They’ll review your application, check out your musical chops, and compare your profile with the cruise lines they’re partnered with. If they find a potential match, they’ll reach out to you with the deets. Exciting stuff, right?
- When they’ve found a potential gig, they’ll guide you through the process. They’ll handle the nitty-gritty details like contracts, negotiations, and logistics. Think of them as your support crew, making sure you’re well-prepared for your cruise ship adventure.
Remember, these agencies are experts in the biz, so they know what the cruise lines are looking for. They’ll give you advice, share insights, and help you put your best foot forward. They’re your backstage pass to securing those amazing gigs!
Five Agencies Hiring Cruise Ship Musicians Right now!
Viking Recruitment is a global recruitment agency that handles a wide range of positions, including musicians and entertainers, for various cruise lines. Visit their website at vikingcrew.com to explore their current vacancies and application process.
Cast-a-Way is a popular hiring agency that recruits talented musicians and entertainers for cruise ships, resorts, and other hospitality industries. You can find more details on their website at cast-a-way.com.
Lime Entertainment is known for its expertise in entertainment recruitment for the cruise industry. They work closely with cruise lines to source and hire musicians, bands, DJs, and other entertainers. Check their website at limeentertainment.com for opportunities.
Proship Entertainment is a renowned recruitment agency that specializes in hiring musicians, entertainers, and production staff for cruise ship contracts. Check out their website at proship.com for information on current job opportunities.
Landau Music Agency is an entertainment agency that specializes in providing high-quality musical acts and performers for a wide range of events, including cruise ships, hotels, resorts, casinos, and corporate functions. With a focus on live music, they aim to create unforgettable experiences for their clients and their audiences.
Sixth Star Entertainment offers a range of entertainment solutions tailored to the needs of cruise lines, luxury resorts, corporate events, and private parties. They have a team of talented performers, musicians, dancers, and production staff who create and deliver captivating entertainment experiences.
Visit Danny Black’s (youtube channel for more content
Working as a musician on a cruise ship offers an incredible opportunity to see the world while doing what you love. It’s the ultimate combination of travel and music! As you perform onboard, the ship becomes your floating stage, transporting you to stunning destinations across the globe. From the crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean to the iconic cities of Europe and beyond, you’ll have the chance to explore diverse cultures, experience breathtaking landscapes, and interact with people from all walks of life.
The constant change of scenery and the thrill of performing in different ports creates a dynamic and enriching experience like no other. So, pack your instrument, embark on a musical adventure, and let the melodies you create become the soundtrack to your global exploration.
“Lose your dreams and you might lose your mind.”